Position Title: Billing & Customer Service Clerk Department: Administration
Reports To: Front Office Supervisor
Under the general supervision of the Front Office Supervisor, responsible for performing a variety of customer account billing activities, data entry and customer service functions in support of office operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:*
• Processes customer meter reading and billing data using current meter reading platform(s).
• Maintains all residential, commercial, and fire protection customer data for proper billing of all accounts.
• Generates and mails monthly, quarterly and seasonal customer bills and billing reports. Processes new customers and ownership changes and issues final bills as needed.
• Responds to customer inquiries, requests, and complaints in support of promoting customer relations. Generates computerized field service orders to resolve issues as needed. Performs billing adjustments and abatements when they meet abatement policy criteria.
• Follows up with customer correspondence to resolve protracted customer concerns.
• Prepares disconnection notices to customers and follows up on payment arrangement plans for delinquent accounts in accordance with District policies and Maine Public Utilities Commission rules. Schedules disconnections as needed.
• Responsible for collection of overdue inactive accounts. Corresponds regularly with collection agency.
• Processes customer bankruptcy data, locates accounts, assembles required paperwork, and fills out proof of claims.
• Prepares and processes all field service orders including all meter postings and seasonal turn ons and turn offs, etc.
• Answers telephone and greets customers, as necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Delivers end of day mail to Post Office.
• Receives, enters and processes customer payments received by mail, in person and electronically.
• Promotes and maintains positive community relations.
• Performs other related duties as required.
• Duties require knowledge of computerized data entry and retrieval, accounting, and customer relation skills equivalent to completion of a high school diploma plus specialized training and five years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to perform detailed work accurately and efficiently within deadlines.
• Ability to prioritize tasks and deal effectively with interruptions.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to interact effectively and tactfully with a wide variety of individuals, including customers and other District personnel.
• Ability to understand, interpret, and explain District procedures and Maine Public Utility Commission rules to customers.
• Knowledge of computerized billing applications in the water utility environment.
• Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, and equipment including the use of computers for data entry and management.
• This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
• Normal office environment, not subject to extremes in temperature, noise, odors, etc.
• Frequent interruptions to assist customers.
• May spend extended periods at computer, on telephone, or operating other office machines, requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity.
• Occasional lifting (25 pounds) and carrying of files, documents, records, etc.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
*External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the Americans With Disabilities Act, must be able to perform the essential job functions (as listed) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case basis.