Position Title: Crew Member I
Reports To: Foreman
Under the supervision of the Foreman or the Distribution Manager, responsible for performing a variety of duties to install, maintain, and repair water supply systems, including mains, hydrants, service connections, and all other associated appurtenances in accordance with established practices and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:*
- Operates heavy and other operating equipment and tools, including dump trucks with trailers, large and small tapping machines, cutters, compressors, jack hammers, electric power tools, pumps, saws, electrical, hot water and steam thawing machines, disinfection and pressure testing equipment and various wrenches and other similar type tools as well as hand tools.
- Operates backhoe and other equipment to excavate and backfill trenches and openings; operates hoe ram and/or compressor and jack hammer to chop and pierce concrete, pavement, ledge, frost, etc. Drills holes and creates openings.
- Installs and maintains various sizes and types of main supply water systems and service supply systems, including ductile iron, cast iron, polyethylene, P.V.C., transite, copper, brass, and other various pressure and compression fittings, clamps, couplings, valves, hydrants gate boxes, and other items in a proper manner.
- Places, positions, shims, and installs piping, fittings, etc. following accepted practices; cuts, couples, threads, and connects, as required.
- Assists with pressure tests of installed systems following established practices.
- Assists with chlorinating, flushing and collecting water samples from new water main installations.
- Assists with placing systems into service.
- Performs other duties at District property, including painting, cleaning, general maintenance repairs, snow removal, etc., as needed.
- Keeps and maintains required information and other data.
- Detects and reports defective and unsafe equipment and materials as well as unusual situations to supervisor.
- Follows all safety rules, practices, and procedures. Wears and employs all required safety equipment and devices.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates as a member of standby crew to respond to trouble and service calls regarding all aspects of water supply services. Performs on-call coverage a rotating basis.
- Promotes and maintains positive community relations.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Duties require knowledge of construction and maintenance equivalent to completion of a high school diploma and up to one year of related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Must possess and maintain a valid Class A State of Maine Driver’s License to be eligible for consideration for 18-month compensation step. Must possess and maintain a valid Class A State of Maine Driver’s License within 24 months of commencement of employment under the supervision of the Foreman or the Distribution Manager.
Knowledge of the customary practices and procedures to be followed in the performance of construction, maintenance and repair of water supply systems.
Knowledge of excavation safety, shoring safety, and safe lifting practices.
Knowledge of the type and uses of tools, materials, and standard equipment used in work.
Ability to operate all departmental equipment and vehicles.
Ability to interact respectfully and tactfully with fellow employees and the public.
Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with others both verbally and in writing.
Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Knowledge of confined space program and safety requirements by law.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Frequent and extended periods of outside work, subject to all weather conditions and extremes.
Continuous walking, standing, climbing, and frequent periods requiring sustained, uncomfortable physical positions.
Sustained periods of moderate physical exertion, requiring the ability to lift, carry, and position heavy objects utilizing proper body mechanics and techniques.
Operates equipment that causes loud noise levels and high vibrations.
Exercises caution when operating heavy equipment.
Works for extended periods in public roads in and around vehicular traffic.
Lift objects weighing 80 lbs. and to work continuously under varying and sometimes adverse weather conditions.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.